Florida Boating Rules and Regulations
Boating rules, laws and regulations vary from state to state, it’s important to know about boating safety, life jacket requirements, minimum age necessary to operate a boat or personal watercraft (PWC), and trailer registration requirements.
- Resident License and/or Education Requirement: All Florida residents born after January 1, 1988 who operate powered watercraft 10 hp or greater must carry a Florida Boating Safety Education Identification Card.
- Life Jacket Requirements: 6 and under must wear a PFD.
- Minimum Age to Operate a Vessel: No age requirement.
- Minimum Age to Operate a Personal Watercraft (PWC): Operators of personal watercraft must be at least 14 years of age.
- Boat Trailer Registration Requirements: Boat trailers must be titled and registered.
For more information about detailed boating rules, regulations, and laws in Florida, visit the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission.